Monday 3 June 2013

Epson 4180


Recently I got a used old model Negative Scanner- Epson 4180 from ebay.in. The scanner has not come with film holder and also it has some internal problem such as it doesn’t scan the entire area, just a part of it. I found a way to lay negatives on the area where it scans to scan negatives.




Also I bought a used Nikon FM2n, almost new from ebay.in and a new Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8D lens with a used Nikon 105mm f/2.5 lens. I made a bid on a Nikon 24mm f/2.8 and Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens which I am yet to receive. 
I put some rolls in Nikon FM2n and got it developed and sat down to scanning in Epsin 4180. The scanner is lousy but at least I have something better than nothing.

Here are some samples of the scans. Cropping, gama correction and sharpening done in Photoshop CS4.
The photos should be sharper and also the colours should have come out a bit different. I blame it on the scanner mostly and also my technique of scanning. The initial photos taken with Kodak Colorplus 200 have been scanned using Epson scan software and later photos of Kodak Ektacolor 400 with VueScan. Vuescan is easier and renders better colour. 




















Below photos taken with Nikon FM2n and Kodak Elite Chrome Extra Color 100. The Roll has been expired on 08.12 and it was stored badly on the shelf of a local studio under constant heat and pollution. The results are not half bad. Newton rings are visible due to bad scanning technique.

 





 

 












4 comments:

  1. onu, i m completely in love with it. thank u so much for this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb! Loving the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... It means a lot coming from you :D

      Delete