Friday 17 January 2014

Itanagar Memories... with Nikon FM2n and Pentax MX

Memories... with Nikon FM2n and Pentax MX.
I am in Santiniketan and I am already missing home! It's been a while since I was away from home... 

Took the photos of negatives with Olympus E-PL2 and Nikon 55mm f/3.5 Macro lens  this way and edited it in Photoshop CS6.
Okay this is how I took photos of the negatives! I had to do what I had to do. Photo taken with my trusted old Nokia X2-02. Necessity is mother of invention! :D

Cameras used:   Nikon FM2n and Pentax MX  
Lens used:      Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D, Nikon 24mm f/2.8 AI-S, Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 and Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 lenses
Film rolls used:  Kodak Gold 400, Kodak Gold 200, Kodak Slide Elite Chrome Extra Colour 200 and Fujifilm Colorplus 200 film rolls.

The settings of the photo taken of the negatives are:
Aperture f/11 and some in f/8 at ISO 200.
Set the camera timer to 1 Sec since it was late night and I didn't want any camera shake.

Film photography is satisfying but at the same time converting it into digital positives is tedious... It took me almost a week to convert 300+ photos.
I'll continue the interest as far as I can...but I agree with life becoming busier and busier, one has to get the work done faster....
Aahhh.... I want to go back to my idyllic childhood when I didn't have to worry about running out of time...

I enjoy taking film photos. I am yet to master it. I click any random thing and it amuses me how the film gets converted into digital. I have to get my act together and take more meaningful and better Photos than these but meanwhile enjoy the sample photos from Nikon FM2n and Pentax MX.


My pretty and photogenic friend Ampi. Most of mine single photos have been shot by her. Others by someone at home or set on a tripod.













The road is full of potholes and pile of dirt on one side. I hope our infrastructure change for the better soon...




The below photos are of my ex-colleagues.














My kids are very flighty so I had to ask Barkha to hold them so that I can take their photos
Looks like Choju is shy..
Rika has cherry eyes but sadly there are no operation facilities in whole of Arunachal Pradesh...







Someone has dropped his underwear... hahaha...







The effect came out this way... Actually since it was Kodak Elite Chrome and I had no choice but get it developed via C-41 process. The effect is not bad if taken creatively as an Art Photo.
































































9 comments:

  1. good ,stuff rally a different perpective on fullframe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good work with films Kenri - you have got the hang of it perfectly. More importantly, I am amazed to see your scanning workflow. Just curious, how easy to get films and get them developed in Arunachal?

    Btw, where did you get the Pentax-M 28mm f/1.8 from? f2.8? :)

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yusuf.
      It is not easy to get films anymore in Arunachal Pradesh. At first I
      got some ordered from Assam but later the person said he ran out of
      stock even in Assam. Then I ordered them online. Also I got the films
      developed here in Bolpur, West Bengal because no studios in AP
      develops them anymore. I guess it is worth the pain and the money.
      I got the Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 lens from ebay from the seller Great Zidane.
      Regards~

      Delete
    2. Kudos to your lab for doing fine job, most labs here don't leave any stones upturned to keep their marks on film that even ICE on my scanner gives up & neither they process E6.

      Yes, I could guess about M28, was 'curious' since you mentioned f1.8 in 'Lens used' above.

      Delete
    3. Oh! Thank you for the correction.
      The lab here still gets lots of scratches on the film. It shows in the shadow areas...
      I hope films do not become rarer because then the price will be sky rocketing. Film is more satisfying medium for me artistically.
      I'm so glad you into Film Photography too!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kenri. I was just going through the posts in Film-India in flickr and found your post. I am pretty amazed by your zeal of shooting film, despite living in a place like Arunachal where its tough to get and process film. I stay in Sikkim and can understand the pain. I have seen your setup and here lies one question from me. How did you remove the orange tint from the "scanned" digital images in PP? I am finding it very difficult to do correctly. Do share the method as I intend to do some PP over the negatives and then print. I do not like it at all the way the studio develops and prints images from negatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Binoy. You can use "Color Balance (ctrl + B)" the to change the colour tones. I am not an expert on Photoshop and I do it this way. Sometimes I try "Selective color" and "Hue/ saturation (ctrl + U)" in PS to come to a desired result. Hope it helped. Regards.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kenri. I will try. I am hoping for a Arunachal tour next year. It seems to be a beautiful place.

      Delete